Did you answer your cat’s question on National Answer Your Cat’s Question Day? It was January 22, in case you missed it this year. But don’t worry – there are plenty of animal holidays coming up.
Here are the top animal holidays this summer:
- June 1-30: Adopt-a-Shelter-Cat Month – Consider giving an abandoned cat a home, and learn what it’s like to save a small, fuzzy life.
- June 9: World Pet Memorial Day – Celebrate the memory of past pets by volunteering at your local animal shelter or donating to an animal charity.
- June 21: Take Your Dog to Work Day – Some pet-friendly offices allow your pup to hang out in the workplace – just don’t forget to ask your boss first.
- July 10: Don’t Step on a Bee Day – Don’t wait for July; feel free to celebrate whenever you’re barefoot outdoors.
- July 14: Shark Awareness Day – Shark Awareness Day promotes shark hunting and poaching awareness, specifically the cruel practice of harvesting of shark fins.
- July 15: I Love Horses Day – You don’t have to own a horse to participate; check out a local petting zoo or watch a few reruns of Mr. Ed.
- August 4-10: International Assistance Dog Week – Take a moment to recognize service dogs whose many jobs include guiding the blind, sniffing for bombs and patrolling the slopes.
- August 10: Spoil Your Dog Day – Go to the dog park, buy a new toy or bake your pup some homemade dog treats.
- August 18: International Homeless Animals Day – This day was created to raise awareness of pet overpopulation and to encourage “adopt-a-thons, spay/neuter clinics and microchip clinics.”
- August 26: National Dog Day – It’s strange that man’s best friend gets one day while sharks get a whole week. Celebrate this day with your pup’s favorite activities.
If you’re a cat person, you probably noticed that these summer holidays are pretty dog-centric. Are there any feline celebrations we missed? And what are your favorite animal holidays?